Strand Theatre History
The theatre was built and owned in 1946 by Mr. Hairsine of Birtle. It had a seating capacity of 400 with living quarters at the back. It was originally called the Star Dust Theatre and when it was sold to Mr. Chuck Doerr in 1954, he changed the name to The Strand. Mr. and Mrs. Kobell purchased the theatre in 1955, and after the death of Mr. Kowbell in 1966, Mrs. Kowbell operated it until 1977 when she sold it to Pat and Bill Gerlock. In March of 1979, Bill, Marilyn and Bob Holden purchased it. There have been many changes. In 1984, the candy bar was added to the north side of the theatre. In 1994, the projector was upgraded and a platter system was installed. In 2003 a new sound surround and seating were installed.
From 2009, the Prairie Vision Arts Council began renting the apartment at the back. The Arts Council built a stage and installed stage lighting and sponsored concerts. In 2011 the Arts Council purchased the Strand Theatre. The Arts Council installed a new projector, screen and sound equipment. Several major building upgrades by the Arts Council have helped to restore and upgrade the Strand Theatre.